Saturday, May 31, 2014

Crock pot chicken stock


Chicken carcass/chicken bones
Onion-diced
One celery stock-diced
A few carrots-diced
One sprig of parsley
One bay leaf

Fill crock pot with water
Add all ingredients
Cook for 10 hours
Strain all bones, skin & veggies
Throw away veggies.
Chicken bones can be used again.

*I have been saving veggie scraps in the freezer and adding them to this recipe.*

I have also been adding a little bit of this every night to Choppers food.  He LOVES it.  Choppers now begs for me to "fix" his food.  It is very satisfying to know you used 100% of a chicken.

As my Iron Man training has been ramping up, I have been looking for low calorie, low cost, EASY recovery "nutrition".  I have read lots of benefits to drinking chicken broth like tea. I have also seen chicken broth at aid stations.  Last weekend, I heated this up and took it in a thermos for a post workout "meal".  It was very satisfying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment