Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Pasta E Fagioli Soup

Pasta E Fagioli Soup
Serves 8



  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 
  • 1 pound lean ground beef 
  • 2 whole carrots, diced 
  • 4 celery stalks, diced 
  • 1 medium onion, diced 
  • 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes 
  • 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) beef broth 
  • 2 whole bay leaves 
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano 
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil 
  • ½ teaspoon dried thyme 
  • salt and pepper to taste 
  • 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed 
  • 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed 
  • 1 cup ditalini pasta, uncooked 
Directions
  1. Add olive oil to a large skillet and add in ground beef. Cook until browned and no longer pink. 
  2. Place the beef in a slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients except for the beans and pasta. 
  3. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. 30 minutes before serving stir in beans and pasta. 
  4. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaves before serving. 
  5. Serve immediately while hot. 
I will make this again. This was easy and really good. I used ground turkey & homemade chicken broth, instead of beef broth. I liked the ground turkey texture in the soup. You could substitute long grain rice instead of pasta. I am becoming a soup snob. The leftover has been just as good. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment